Douglas Arthur Oliver Baker
'Temporary' Landlord 5 April 1932 - 25 May 1932
Landlord of The Gardeners Arms - 4, TimberHill, from 5 April 1932 until 25 May 1932, when he was replaced by Arthur Herbert Lister. Douglas, was a temporary manager, who held the licence of many Bullards premises across the county throughout the 1930's, often holding several licences simultaniously, including........
Post Office Tavern - 29/31, Exchange Street - 07/03/1933- 21/11/1933
Black Horse Hotel - 26, Chapel Street, Kings Lynn - 01/02/1932 - 11/04/1932
Three Hoops - 16, Castle street, Thetford - 07/11/1929. Referred for Compensation 24/12/1930, but was closed before 05/07/1931
Trowel & Hammer - Oxborough Road, Stokes Ferry - 04/01/1932. Douglas is the last listed licensee. The premises closed, and the licence was allowed to lapse, but was transfered to the Longe Arms, Spixworth
Stag - 65, St. Benedicts Street - 01/01/1929 - 12/02/1929
The Good Companions - 171, Earlham Green Lane - 30/08/1938 - 28/12/1938
Albion Hotel - Church Street, Cromer - 15/05/1933 - 10/07/1933
Pitmans Arms - New End, Oulton - 15/11/1932 - 07/03/1933 (Described as 'Brewers Manager')
Three Kings - 46, St. Benedicts Street - 18/10/1932 - 03/01/1933
Railway Stores - 2, Heigham street, Norwich - 08/09/1931 - 24/05/1932 & again from 14/07/1942, when the premises were demolished by enemy fire, but re-opened on 05/10/1943
The Gordon - 88, Gordon Avenue, Thorpe st. Andrew - 05/02/1934 - 15/04/1935 Douglas was the pubs first licensee, holding a 'provisional licence' which had been trasfered from The Prince of Wales, Upton, following it's closure.
Duke of Wellington - 5, Chapel street, South Heigham, Norwich - 14/07/1942 - Demolished following enemy action in April 1942, the licence was subsequently surrendered on 14/06/1955 to the Shoemakers, West Earlham
Angel Hotel - Market Street, North Walsham - 14/09/1931 - 12/10/1931
Longe Arms - Taverham Hundred, Spixworth - 10/05/1932 - 19/11/1932
Vauxhall Tavern - 47, Vauxhall street, Norwich - 06/05/1941 - The Vauxhall Tavern was destroyed, by enemy action on 18/02/1941, re-built in the late 1950's & re-opened on 14/06/1960
The Little John - 142, Armes Street - 14/07/1942 - 05/10/1943. This pub was destroyed by enemy action in April 1942, and trading recomenced in temporary buildings from 4th August 1943, as stated in a letter from bullards, to the magistrates, dated 28th July 1943.
Crown Hotel - 6, Market Place, Fakenham - 27/4/1936 - 27/07/1939
Rangers Inn, Lower Anchorage, East Rudham - 30/12/1938 - 27/03/1939
White Horse Inn - Irstead Road, Neatishead - 01/02/1932 - 29/02/1932
White Hart - Townhouse Road, Costessey - 18/10/1930 - 08/08/1931
New Inn - Turnpike, Scarning - 24/11/1933 - Douglas was the last listed licensee, with the premises closing in 1934, and the licence transfered to another district.
Anchor of Hope - 114, Oak Street, Norwich - 14/07/1942 - Douglas was it's last licensee, and took on the licence, despite the pub being destroyed in the Baedeker raids of 27/29 April 1942!
Swan Inn - High Street, Horning - 29/03/1943 - 28/01/1946
Rampant Horse - 3, Queens Road, Fakenham - 27/12/1933 - 06/02/1934
Horse Shoes - West Tofts, Nr. Thetford - 07/10/1942 - Was the last licensee, after the entire village was forcibily evacuated, to allow for the area to be used as a battle training area, for the war effort. It continues to be used and is known as the Stanford Training Ground.
Lord John Russell - 66, Dereham Road, Norwich - 14/07/1942. Douglas Baker - The pubs last licensee, described as a 'brewery representative', who took on the licence following 'destruction of the house after enemy bombing.'
DOUGLAS ARTHUR OLIVER BAKER - Died June 1966 - age 71